Painting: Quiet

It feels like an age since I last posted something but it's only been six days...

First off I'd like to introduce you to my great friend Lina's tumblr http://rozenkranca.tumblr.com/

Now, I'd like to post the progress of my own works..

First that infamous headless oil lady..
With an extended palate to include proper yellows, blue and red I built on top of the base I had painted the week before.
I used my own brushes this time round too- which gave me more flexibility and diversity and control over the oil (which I still dislike intensely).
One more week and I could have nailed this one but sadly- this is it! No more time.
I realise now that in all the rush to get going I hadn't been able to really map out her body- and I had ended up in an ever so slightly different position than the week before so the focus of the whole painting- her legs.. are off. I've given her an incredibly elongated left thigh. :(
I think I can still give myself a lot of credit though for having a jolly good old bash at this oil thing, despite the disparity and wobbly-ness and anatomical anomalies.


Secondly: Here is a cute cat in a window! I took a few photos of this cat excitedly watching the birds from a window five floors up in a tenement.
He has no chance of ever catching one!
This drawing is a slow burner, but I am pleased that I am starting to be able to draw and paint objects and buildings and incrementally moving away from the figure.
Plus it's great to be able to using a medium I can actually have minute control over sometimes!
Last but not least my David Hockney -esque still life.
I didn't make that comparison myself, but I had been looking around and wondering why my work didn't look like anybody else's. Quite a lot in these classes I hear the tutor or other students comparing each others' work to established artists.
A few people have been commenting on the flatness of my painting.. I am painting that way because I like it. I like these colours and I like the bold, uncompromising statement they make.
I will admit I had to look David Hockney up, I recognised the name but I am terrible at putting names to images - from remembering people's names to remembering all but the most obvious of artists (as in, the ones we have all been familiar with since primary school..). I remembered how much I like him as soon as I saw some of his work- I recognised paintings I've seen and loved and also his latest works, the trees on many canvasses.
Well, in some ways I am pleased that finally somebody has seen something in my painting and likened it to another artist- but also displeased as I'd like to be out there painting in a way that hasn't been done before.

Popular Posts